Sunday, October 31, 2010

One more sleep

Well the week has come and gone, and now it is only one more sleep. Tomorrow I have my 'pump start'. Now this is not going to be a diabetes blog, I will post about many other things, but right now the most exciting thing to report is that I get hooked up for the first time ever to an insulin pump.

I chose purple. If I have to look at something everyday I want it to look pretty rather than scream 'medical device', so I chose purple.

I'm nervous about having it attached 24/7, I'm nervous about working my wardrobe around it, but mostly I'm just excited to take a new step in my d management. After having been on MDI (multiple daily injections) for years, I want to see if there are things the pump can do that the insulin pens can't. I was never afraid of injecting with the pens every time I ate (so if you include snacks that could be up to 7 or 8 times a day). But the pump will have different basal rates for the morning (yay, perhaps morning spikes will be a thing of the past!). It will be easier to eat during work meetings and bolus, without having to lug my kit of needles and the pen into each meeting (plus no more exposing my belly under the desk in a meeting).

I want to see if I can have steadier sugars, and perhaps finally budge my HbA1C down into the 6's after hovering from 7.1 - 7.5 for 4 years.

Did anyone else find it so exciting but nervewracking at the same time, waiting for the pump start day?!

No comments: